Thursday, May 6, 2010

Finding Theater in My Major

Theater is any where and any thing around us. Theater is something we all relate to everyday. So I asked my self how does theater fit in with my major of electro optics? At the beginning of the semester I would have said it does not fit in with it at all. That theater has nothing to do with my major and that I had no clue why I was required to take it to graduate with an applied science degree in May. I didn’t see the point of how learning theater was going to help me with my major. But now that I have learned a bit about theater, I would bet I could find a way to fit theater in to just about any major at all.
With electro optics theater fits in quite well. Once you get a job in this field a lot of the work you will be doing it contract work. With the contract work you will need to do a lot of presentations. Either to win a job bid or to update the person or company that contracted you with the progress of the project. So you are going to need to be a decent speaker and presenter. Theater can help out with your presentation skills. If you are nervous play a little improvisation game to relax you before speaking. If you plan out what you are going to say it is like you are writing a script. You have to make sure the message will be relayed to the audience in the way you would like it to be. The audience is the most important part of theater cause with out the audience what is the need for theater. In the case of the job the audience would be most important as well because they are the ones you are working for.
Another way theater fits in to my major is with that it takes team work to work in the electro optics field rarely if ever will you be tasked in doing something a lone. You will work in small groups and different things to make and end product. This processes reminds me a lot of what goes on to make a theaters production. You have different goods of people all working on there own parts of the production, that by them selves are impressive yes, but not a complete finished product of what could be accomplished. So after the lighting teams plans out what they are doing, the set designers are done, the cast knows what they are doing. It all gets brought together to make that finished product. The electro optics field works similarly. No matter if you are installing fiber optic cables or polishing lens the work is broken down into teams then put together to make a finished product. So theater and electro optics both share task division.
So even if you do not think it is possible or don’t see how its true. Theater is everywhere and everything. It can be as simple as listening to a conversation between two people. Their words being the script of the play called life. Or if you are walking down the street and see someone dancing. There theater all around us. The question is we will take the time to notice it, and if we do will you be able to understand and appreciate it, or will you walk by unaware of what is happening and not notice like most people. Theater is definitely a big part of every major, the question is will you notice that it is a part of you life.

No comments:

Post a Comment